I make some of my best playlists in the fall.
Probably because my taste in music goes quite well with the overall feeling of fall; I like my music dark and miserable.
The following mix of new releases and old favorites that I will be listening to this season.
13 songs to keep me company this fall
- Whistleblower by Thrice. Thrice’s latest release has been with me since it was released earlier in the year, the track Whistleblower is basically my H&M shorts of music; the track I’m still not ready to let go. I’ve no idea what my obsession is with this song; it wasn’t included in their setlist back in August, is it just me? Isn’t this song just all sorts of brilliant??
- Stay by Dream on Dreamer. Don’t let the post-hardcore tag put you off, this is a nice little track. It’s their latest release to date, making me look forward to their next album, and I really should make an effort to see them live. But why oh why do all bands insist on playing the same time of year? Spread it out people, spread it out! (Or come to Sweden, OK thx bye.)
- Skeleton Tree by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds. The entire album is made for fall, this track has quickly become a favorite.
- Big Ideas by The Boxer Rebellion. In theory I should love this band. Not quite there yet, but I really do like this song and Diamonds from a previous release is frequently included in my playlists.
- Terrible Love by The National. I feel like this is an obvious choice; like Skeleton Tree the album High Violet was made for fall.
- I Still Want You by Richard Hawley. If there is one thing you need in your fall playlists it’s a little Hawley.
- Gone with the Wind by Murray Macleod. The original is brilliant; to no one’s surprise the cover is equally brilliant. Makes me wish for more Architects covers.
- Dezemberluft by Heisskalt. Because any playlist should always include at least one song in German, don’t you think? This is an odd little track; I want to like the rest of their body of work as much as this track. Maybe one day.
- Search Party by Enter Shikari. I’m not as in love with this bad as most people. I’ve been including a few of their songs in my playlists lately, but for the most part, this band is lost on me. This one though, is a quite recent find, thus making it into my fall playlists. Was made aware of its existence via the playlist mentioned here.
- Secret Truth by Glasvegas. Patiently waiting for the next Glasvegas release, at which point I’ll abandon all this metal silliness. In the mean time, I’m quite happy returning to their previous releases, which work particularly well with cooler weather I feel.
- All Summer Long by John Cale. While I like to claim I love Cale, in actuality I only like the albums Fragments of a Rainy Season and Black Acetate, and this song. But oh, when he’s good, he’s very, very good. The sound of this song; ach, I want more of it.
- Fight My Regret by The Amity Affliction. Because it’s just not time to let This Could be Heartbreak go just yet. This one is my favorite track from the album – not that this means much at all. The album as a whole is a good one.
- Cracks in the Earth by Architects. You didn’t think I’d make a playlist with no Architects did you? I’ve already got a playlist based on this track, but that doesn’t mean anything. Other than I just really like it, despite it being quite uncharacteristic for Architects; it’s more of a “straight rock” track.
What’s on your playlist?