Over at The Broke and the Bookish they do a top ten on Tuesdays which looked like fun. This week’s theme is Ten Facts About Me, sticking to the book theme or any type theme you like. I will be sticking with the book theme.
And I will also try to think of 10 things about me relating to books that you wouldn’t already know. Unless you’re new here. In which case you wouldn’t know that I love the novel Dirty Weekend. But you do now, so let’s get on with this.
Ten Facts About Me
- I’ve got a degree in literature, not because I love books. I do love books, but it’s because I wanted to take a course where I had to do as little speaking in public as was humanly possible.
- My favorite book, and movie!, as a kid was Ronia the Robber’s Daughter.
- Despite having studied literature, I’m not impressed by the classics in general. I prefer pop lit.
- My thesis (i.e. one of the three I’ve written) was on Stephen King. How original (/sarcasm).
- I break the backs of paperbacks as a way to let future me know that I’ve read this book.
- This is because I often forget which books I’ve read. I try to use GoodReads as a reminder. On more than one occasion I’ve started reading a book only to go ‘Hmm, this seems oddly familiar..?’
- I can and have read books in 6 languages: Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, English, French, German. Danish and Norwegian tended to be only during studies, because it was required, and I’ve studied French, but my level of comprehension is pretty much children’s books, and while I could read in German, I’m mostly too damned lazy for it.
- I come from a family of readers. However, we don’t read the same type of books at all. So we generally don’t talk about what we read.
- I own two copies of The Second Sex, one in Swedish and one in English. I’ll let you draw your own conclusions as to why.
- This is where I do most of my reading: